Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Better Late Then Never...

Happy New Year! I am FINALLY back! I have plenty to tell you but my first post is for Billy's birthday. His birthday was actually on November 28th but we just recently had internet installed at my in-laws' house. So first and foremost I wanted to post a special "birthday letter" for him since I did the same for Spiro this year. I wanted to keep things fair and I certainly don't need any additional items added to his list of "things to discuss with my therapist when I am an adult". I didn't want him to look back on 2012 as the year my mom wrote a birthday post for Spiro but not one for me. I also would like the record to reflect that this post was in fact written on his birthday in the dark on my iPhone awaiting the opportunity to be posted...

Dear Billy,
Today you are 5 years old! You reminded me in the car today, on the way to school, that this was the first time you ever turned 5! Not to spoil anything for you buddy, but this will actually be the only time you turn 5. Believe me, if I could change that I would. Daddy and I would love nothing more than for you to stay just as you are this year... this day... this minute... (but maybe with a little less Greek cursing)

You are not a baby anymore. Next year will be kindergarten and it feels like the last 5 years just sped past us. It's hard to believe that you will soon be in school everyday, all day and our special lunch dates will be a distant memory.

I actually thought I had all the answers to parenting when you joined our family. I realized very quickly that this was not the case. You forced me out of my comfort zone and taught me that not EVERTHING can be planned and for that I will be eternally grateful. You are still attempting to teach me that the house being a mess and your toys littering every room is not a big deal but I am here to let you know that I am not buying what you're selling and I WILL prevail from the battle of you cleaning your toys up. (where do you think your stubbornness came from ;)

I have said it before, but I knew from your entrance into this world that you would be a "force to be reckoned with" and you definitely have not disappointed. All those things about you that at times drive me crazy are honestly the qualities that will make you great one day, you will just need to find that special balance.

I love your strong will... sometimes. When learning to write your alphabet it is great, when throwing down in the middle of Target, not so much. I know that those who have changed the world refused to accept no for an answer and continued to follow the part of their heart that said "I will not give up, I can do this" I also understand that a guy leading the police on a high speed chase probably hears the same words in his head. Know the difference. Be a world changer, not a law breaker.

You are an exceptional brother. I know it's tough being the youngest and that Spiro loses his patience with you but you never hold anything against him and I hope you never will. Holding grudges will only darken your heart and the bond you share with your brother should always be special.

This year has been all about sports, all the time for you. You would practice for hours in the backyard if we let you. You LOVE the Ravens, the Orioles and playing soccer and you have an extreme dislike for the Pittsburgh Steelers but I can't imagine where you learned that from...

We are so very proud of the independent, fearless, kind person you are my Billy. You continue to keep us on our toes and make us laugh and Daddy and I hope that your enthusiasm and excitement for life is something that will stay with you forever.  We love you more than anything in the "whole wide world". Happy Birthday Love!












No comments:

Post a Comment